Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Whispers in the Walls TPB – Review




Issue: Whispers in the Walls TPB
Writer: David Muñoz
Artist: Tirso
Colors: Javi Montes
Translation: Alex Donoghue
Publisher: Humanoids
Release Date: Feb 2012
Pages: 184
Price: $19.95

A gothic tale of horror from David Muñoz (co-writer of Guillermo Del Toro’s THE DEVIL’S BACKBONE film) and artist Tirso. Czechoslovakia, 1949. What Evil lurks within the walls of an ancient Children’s Infirmary? After the brutal murder of her parents, Sarah, a young orphan, is about to discover just that and much more. “

Dying Breath: 5.0 out of 5
Oh, how I have waited for this collection of images and words to be bound so I could finally finish the story of Whispers in the Walls. Let’s start with the artwork on this series. I don’t know what it is about imported books, but they are just GORE-Geous. Tirso’s style was so consistent throughout, his monsters looked AHHH-Mazing, and his visual storytelling would have worked without the translation. Luckily though we got that translation of Muñoz’s story. I have to point out that the colors by Montes, just took this book straight to the top. No scene was ever to dark (when the lights are off) and every panel he touched, he brought to life. The art team easily get’s a 5 from me. The actual story started off with a mystery in the air, that when fleshed out, lead to one of the best stories I have ever had the pleasure to read. The pacing was always on point. There was never a dull moment to be had. On one hand I was worried about the kids, then on the other I was worried about the monsters, and the way they all came together created the perfect mix of entertainment. What I liked most, was that after I was done reading it, I knew there could be more to come. So get on with it already! I need a back story to what has already happened, I need to know where Sarah is going next and I need to know more about all of these Monster classes. This universe is ready to be explored, but make no mistake about it, this book can stand alone as a one and done. Overall I have to give this book a 5 out of 5, which alone puts it in a very limited class of books I have reviewed. I can’t think of anyone who would not enjoy this story, because I think it can cover so many genres. Don’t pass on this book, it will easily surprise you on how amazing it is.

Artwork: 5.0 out of 5 • Story: 5.0 out of 5

If you would like to buy or know more about Whispers in the Walls TPB you can find it at http://www.humanoids.com

No comments:

Post a Comment